Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Jackpot!

I made it to the Yarnery's sale this past weekend and managed to do some major stash enhancement. I think the sale helped me let go of some of my precious money. Everything in the store was 20% off with certain things being 30% off. I think the sale is running through this weekend.

What I am the most excited about is the yarn for my Hourglass sweater. I know I had bought the Wool Ease for that, but the more I got to think about it and hear/read other people's stories about their first sweater I wanted my first sweater to be out of a better yarn. My main reason for buying Wool Ease was that it was so cheap. I really didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on something I knew I would screw up. But then I found that I was just NOT enthused about starting the sweater. So with this sale I figured I could find something that would be better than Wool Ease, but not cost too much. I ended up finding some Araucania Nature Wool at 30% off. Here is my swatch/sleeve. I LOVE the way this is knitting up. The yarn is so soft and the colors are beautiful.


Hourglass

A couple weekends ago I picked up Mason-Dixon's new book and absolutely fell in love. I think part of it had to do with just buying a house and they have so many patterns for the home that fit my style perfectly. So I bought some Euroflax Sportweight Linen yarn for the hand towels (these colors are perfect for my bathroom)


linen

and some Lamb's Pride Bulky in Spice and Winterblue for the small felted box.


Felted Box

I also picked up one skein of Cool Wool Merino Big Superfein to see if I could get gauge for the Wear-Everywhere Pullover in Interweave Spring 2005. I am worried about getting gauge because the pattern calls for gauge in the stitch pattern and I wasn't sure how that translated to gauge listed on the ball band. I do like this color and the feel of the yarn so hopefully it will work out.

Everyday

And last, but not least, I bought the yarn for Rosebud. Ever since I first saw this sweater I have wanted to make it. I don't think I will use the rolled hem, but will do it in seed stitch. I think the rolled hem would get on my nerves.

Rosebud

I am so very exited to start knitting on these projects. I think my mottos for my knitting in the next year will be "Get Ready for Winter" and "Stuff for the House!" My husband likes to keep the house cold in the Summer so I shouldn't have any problem knitting with wool. I might even need it to keep warm! Now don't get me wrong I love Minnesota, even more than I thought I would, but I was very inadequately prepared for the winter. I wasn't prepared for how cold it got and for how very long it was. I think having more hand knitted items next winter will help me cope. It is more fun to wear sweaters, hats, scarves, gloves, and wool socks every day if you have hand knit them yourself!

With all this yarn I bought I did realize that I didn't leave any room in my budget for Yarnover! Speaking of Yarnover, anyone in the Twin Cities area want to go with me, or meet me there?

I just realized as I was going through this that I am really focusing on the colors blue and red lately. Maybe I need to break out of my comfort zone.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you did some major stash enhancing! The Nature Wool looks like the same color I knit a pair of mittens with, I really like that yarn but be careful, it felts.
    The stitch marker looks familiar
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to Yarnover. I'd love to meet up some time that day.

    You got some nice stuff at The Yarnery - those felted boxes are really cool!

    ReplyDelete